Thursday 18 January 2018

Movie Review - The Great Gabbo

The Great Gabbo

1929



The Cast


This is a strange little number because it's a pretty dark subject matter, which at times is pretty chilling to watch, but then they throw in lots of songs.  I'm not too sure what the Directors were going for when they filmed this.  I say this because it's evident, at times, that quite a few scenes were added later... and I cannot figure out why.

I really like the idea of the mad ventriloquist.  In this stories concept, he is in love with his assistant, Mary (Compson), though finds it hard to fully converse with her.  As The Great Gabbo (Erich von Stroheim), as he sees himself, he's nasty, offensive,  and disagreeable.  However, when he speaks through the dummy he can be loving and charming.  It's this fissure that eventually leads to his mental breakdown.

I know that the musical moments are there because it's set in the vaudeville and theatre life, though for most of the time these feel more like padding - filling out time.  I think this could be remade and be an actually powerful movie.  Reduce the musical side and expand on the breakdown.  There are times in this movie where chills ran down my spine.  The part where Mary walks out on The Great Gabbo and the Dummy calls her softly back, only to be reprimanded by Gabbo is both heartbreaking and creepy as hell.

The film, in general, is entertaining, though I have to say I found the number of musical intermissions too much.  These are also 1920's musicals so are not so relevant today.  Also, the dancing isn't up to par with bigger productions.  Though I have to say the scene where Mary throws herself off a giant spiders web to be caught inches from the ground is breathtaking.  I would say, for all creepy doll fans and those who like a psychological edge to their dramas, it's worth a watch.

I give this a mouth-full-shut 5.25 out of 10

The Trailer (Fan Made)





No comments:

Post a Comment